A new course, the 10.79-mile Clypse Course was used for the first time in 1954, initially for the re-introduced Sidecar and Ultra Lightweight races. The Lightweight (250cc) race was moved to the Clypse Course in 1955.
Starting at the Grandstand, then turned right at the top of Bray Hill (St Ninian’s), continuing along Ballanard Road to Willaston Corner, (Johnny Watterson’ s Lane) where a right-hander led to Cronk-ny-Mona.
Competitors then raced along the Mountain Course in the reverse direction, to Creg-ny-Baa, turned right and went through a series of bends, to the "51/2" to join the main Laxey to Onchan road and proceeded through the Whitebridge to Onchan Village. Here a right turn at the Manx Arms led them up to Signpost Corner, where they rejoined the Mountain Course back through Bedstead, and Governor’s Bridge, omitting the dip to the Grandstand.