The World's #1 TT WebsitePowered by

Countdown to TT 2024

Meetings 1971 - 1990

TT 1983

The absolute lap record continued to shoot up in 1983, with Norman Brown raising it to 116.19mph in the Senior Classic event for machines up to 1000cc.

He did not win the race, however. Just a lap after establishing that new mark he ran out of petrol and Rob McElnea, riding a big four-stroke Suzuki, won from Con Law (Suzuki) and Dunlop (Honda).

Dunlop had started the week in record-breaking style with a record lap from a standing start in the TT Formula One race. Despite having to change a rear wheel, he won from the Suzuki's of Grant and McElnea.

Rutter completed a hat trick of Formula Two wins, although he left it until the last lap to pass Graeme McGregor.

In the afternoon the popular Phil Mellor won the re-instated 350cc Junior race on his Yamaha. The Yorkshireman was only fifth at the end of the first lap, with Ekerold leading from McGregor, Law and Brown. Retirements pushed Mellor into the lead, with Law breathing down his neck. Law was ahead going into the fourth lap, but retired at Union Mills, leaving Mellor to cost to the finish ahead of the Yamahas of Trevor Nation and Chas Mortimer.

Earlier Law, riding Dr Joe Ehrlich's EMC, had hammered all opposition in the six-lap 250cc Junior event. He led from the start and established a new record of 110.03mph, the first ever lap at over 100mph lap by a quarter-litre machine. McGregor held on to second throughout, but Norman Brown moved into third on the last lap when Steve Tonkin retired.

Dick Greasley won the first sidecar race from Dennis and Julia Bingham, with Keith Cousins third. Mick Boddice retired at Ballaugh on the last lap, while Ireson was a non-starter, his new passenger Ashley Wooller having taken the brave decision not to compete after feeling unhappy during practice.

The second leg saw Mick Boddice finally win a TT race after 14 years of trying. Passengered by Chas Birks, he led all the way, with Nick Edwards and Brian Marris second and Roy Hanks third. Edwards was the surprising overall winner.

Sadly the TT once again lost one of its newest stars when Norman Brown was killed competing in the British Grand Prix at Silverstone two months later.